Thursday, March 2, 2023

Learning and Travel

Me in my rented snow coat, day one, interim 2023, Pyongyang, South Korea

Clad in thermal tights, snow pants, a t-shirt, a thermal pull over, a snow coat, a warm neck gaiter, a ski mask, a wool beanie and a snow helmet, and ski boots I make my way from the equipment rental counter to exit doors.  I am in South Korea. Winter reigns. Temperatures hover below zero.

As a native Floridian and long-time roller skater, I dreamed of skiing. I love snow as only someone who has never been punished by it can. I've wanted to ski since I was little wearing wooly socks and slipping and sliding around on the linoleum in Mom's kitchen. Mine wasn't a skiing family though, so I never made it the slopes during winter time. When I married, my husband, a northern transplant to Florida, wasn't a skier anymore. He hates cold weather, so we never planned winter holidays together in cold climates. Plus, as we aged, he said it was safer not to ski. Saying, "Your window to try that has closed, honey." He was thinking about my last broken wrist, likely the result of new K2 inline skates and slick Bones ball bearings. Still, titanium-plated my wrist is fine. I still wanted to try skiing.

So, when the opportunity to chaperone an interim trip to ski in South Korea presented itself, I signed up. Why not?! I could finally learn to ski! The window was not closed! It's never too late..., right?

At Singapore American School, the international school where I work, students have an opportunity to learn in the world during each year's Interim Semester. Interim Semester is a week-long learning opportunity outside of school. Before Covid,  trips, of service, adventure and culture, took students to around the city of Singapore, and to Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Bali, the Philippines, Mongolia, Nepal, Bhutan , London and more. Students chose trips based on their interests and needs; service was required prior to graduation. In 2019-20 when the world stopped, so did interim. 

That year, trips were cancelled. We lived  locked down. Allowed only out of our residences for essentials: food, exercise. Group sizes outside were limited to two.  Interim began again in 2021. We could have groups of 10 by then, so with twenty students and two chaperones we could safe distances in spots all around Singapore: investigating art, kayaking mangroves, hiking parks, cooking dim sum. While our Singapore outings were well-themed, focused and fun,  we sure missed the world. 

The world sure missed us too. With travel back on this year, we felt folks' love in airports, in restaurants, in shops, in parks, in resorts here in Southeast Asia. Friendly smiles, eager questions, warm stories, so much sharing from the folks we met during interim-- an amazing welcome back to the world. 

At school,  faculty learned which February trips they would chaperone in late November. In the halls you hear teachers trading trip details, "Where are you going? Who's on your trip? Wow! Are you excited?! Have you ever...?" 

"I've never skied. I'v always wanted to learn though, ... " I'd reply to friends' questions and then grin as they shared their own details. 

"Lee Ann, it is going to be cold! and wet! Do you even have a coat here?" That sure got me thinking.

"I don't!" I replied. 

I live in cotton and linen in Singapore--endless summer everyday. Temperatures range from the high eighties to low nineties, unless it's raining. When it rains, we may get a chilly seventy-eight degrees.  Skirts, short sleeved shirts, capris, sandals, these are everyday wear here. We bundle up for air conditioning at movie theatres and little else. Why did I choose a winter trip?! What had I been thinking?! I'm moving this year and I don't have any winter clothes!  Interim challenge number one showed itself. 

How would I stay warm and dry in South Korea and in the snow? Friends were full of good advice. 

"Send out a message. See what you can borrow, " a Canadian friend suggested.

We have a digital marketplace in our community and folks borrow and barter all sorts of things. That's a good idea,  I thought to myself.

"Where are you going for winter break?" another friend asked.

"I'm going to your home first! Seattle and then, Orlando," I said. "I'm going to visit Collin--his internship at Blue ends just as our winter break begins. We'll have a long weekend together in Seattle."

"Oh! In Seattle you can shop for winter gear. Go to RE. They have great guides there. Their flagship store is fantastic. They will even talk you through all the things you may need to pack to stay ski-safe and warm," my friend from Seattle suggested.

And so I did. Challenge accepted. Solutions found.

I learned a lot during this year's trip. Soon, I'll write more of those moments.  Expect to see a few slices from the snow, from the lift, from the bunny hill and beyond. 


Shout out to the team at Two Writing Teachers for hosting the annual
Slice of Life Story Challenge. Magic happens when teachers who teach writing,
write themselves. Joins us. Link up every day in March or on Tuesdays throughout the year.




5 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to teach somewhere in Asia, especially in South Korea. It was so cool to learn about life working at an international school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so glad to see your name on the call for slices! What a fun experience for you and students! I have never been skiing, and now I would be afraid of breaking something! :) I can't wait to seemore about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! So happy to virtually see you too, Leigh Anne!

      Delete
  3. You have the smile on your face like someone who is loving life. I'm so glad you had this opportunity. Thanks for sharing information about working at an international school.

    ReplyDelete