Tuesday, March 7, 2023

FaceTime Slice

 

Visiting Collin in Seattle, December 2023

My son is a senior in college and we FaceTime at least once a week. We schedule our chats, so that we can have a regular time to connect--this quarter we're on my Tuesday mornings, his Monday evenings. Typically I get to school a bit early, settle into a cozy spot and give him a ring. 

This morning we talked about his classes and about spring break. He's heading to New York with friends to spend time in the city. 


"Where are ya'll staying again?" I asked him.

"A Marriott--Times Square--I think. .."

"Wow. I wonder if that's the same Marriott we stayed in when NCTE was in New York?"

"I don't know."

"Yeah, you were young, six, seven?"

"Why didn't you all do AirBnB?" I asked thinking about the fabulous place we stayed the summer he was ten.

"I booked Marriott with points. All my points from the internship stay paid for half of the week for the rooms."

"Wow." 

Collin interned during the fall semester. His housing--a Marriott Suites-- was covered by the company, so he went Titanium or Platinum or Diamond on points pretty quickly. 

"That's great. Tell me again what you all planning?"

"Well, we're getting there Sunday and we'll check into the hotel and maybe walk around Chinatown that day. Then a show on Tuesday and.."

"You know I'm happy to fund another show ... since you're going to be there and..."

"I really want to pay for things myself this trip--it's the first time I've been able to do that and..."

"I get it!" I quickly respond. I couldn't tell I was proud of him in that moment, my eyes were tearing up and I knew my voice would break or be all trembly.  If I'm being honest, I'm a little sad too. I miss him.

I shift. Stay focused on the good. More is yet to come for us. I remind myself to keep it light. 

"Ya'll could also land day-of discount tickets since you're there and may have time."

"Yeah, we thought about that."

"What about The Strand? Are you going?"

"OH! THE STRAND... I forgot about that book store. I am adding that to the list right now."

"And you, maybe you create re-create this picture if you're going to the museum anyway--the Ancient Playground is, like, right next door..." grinning I text him a link to the photos we took when we last visited New York City together. 

"Oh, that can definitely happen," he says. 

On the swing at the Ancient playground, 10 years-old
and on FaceTime with Mom, 21 years-old 

And so it went. We talked. We laughed. 

Love that boy

Well, man now I suppose I should say.

Today is day 7 of 31 of the Slice of the annual Life Story Challenge 
hosted by the terrific team at Two Writing Teachers.


3 comments:

  1. Colin will always be your boy, even though he’s a man. That’s just the way it is for moms. Hard to believe he’s a senior in college. Time is a thief. Lots of reasons to be proud, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee Ann, there is something about little boys - and then suddenly they are our grown up little boys. I love that he is wanting to pay his own way. That is a gift when they are adulting in their lives and fill us with such peace over their autonomy. They'll always need their mamas, but it's nice when they are able to support themselves and we are able to see them make their own decisions. He's a handsome fellow! You are richly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a mother of a college student 3,000 miles from home, your piece spoke to me. I could feel the tears well in my eyes as you negotiated internally what to say, not say as your love spilled from you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete