Thursday, March 9, 2023

Eagles are Everywhere

We have all sorts of sayings at school. From "the eagle way" which defines how we apply our core values of compassion, fairness, honesty, respect, and responsibility to situations in and out of school to "once an eagle always an eagle," these mantras build school culture and keep us connected. 

This slice is about eagle spotting.

Such connection surfaced today when I met with David, an advisor from The Investment Center. I'd booked an appointment to review the investment plan I've been contributing to while working here and to learn what I need to do as I prepare to move back to the United States. Though David and I have met yearly for several years, I didn't know much about his family. 

Turns out we both are parents of recent graduates. His daughter graduated in 2022 and my son in 2019. We both are parents of single children and while we are living in Singapore our children are in going to college in the United States. Both of kids are studying engineering. When David said that his daughter is a student in Seattle, I shared that my son  lived in Seattle for an internship this fall and that he's returning in May.

We grinned. 

David wondered, "would your son would be willing to talk with my daughter about engineering? She's looking to find her focus: mechanical, electrical, civil...."

"Sure! I bet he would. Let me give you my contact and his name. I'll reach out to Collin and ask.

Before midnight Eastern Standard Time, and lunch here in Singapore, we'd contacted our own kids and they'd gotten each other's info. How cool is that? 

Eagles are everywhere.

Special thanks to the team at Two Writing Teachers for
making space and building community with us writers.



2 comments:

  1. Very cool! It's amazing how connections exist when we ask questions and listen to the answers. There aren't many degrees of separation. You capture the interaction between you and David perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connecting across the table and around the world. It's what we do as slicers. How interesting to connect your young adults and discover the paths they have taken so far that could have so easily crossed.

    ReplyDelete