Sunday, March 7, 2021

Feedback Ramble

 This is a bit of a ramble today. 

I've got  formative assessment and feedback on my mind this morning. I'm thinking too about a new-to-me learning management system (LMS) and last week's Forensics speeches. Also, a friend is out sick and another out for compassionate leave with family. I'm looking for homes for a litter of kittens I'm fostering. Things are competing for my attention. 

That is often the case with writers, isn't it? 

This morning writers in my class will analyze a passage from The Great Gatsby. They will write in class, on demand. It's a formative practice. Still, kids get nervous writing on demand. A lot competes for their attention as they try to do it: the characters, the weekend, the friend sitting next to them, Covid, the vocabulary in the book, our recent IASAS convention, the Myna bird on the classroom patio, how to use a colon correctly and "the hiccup" style of quote integration. 

I know the kids are cognitive jugglers. We all are--especially this year. 

On today's assessment, I will be looking to see if they can demonstrate close reading skills to analyze what Fitzgerald communicates about Gatsby's dream. It's a prompt that the English 10 PLC created before I joined the group.  My goal is to get feedback back to the kids by class time on Wednesday.  If I'm focused on the specific skills each learner needs when it comes to demonstrating close reading and analysis, I can be feedback efficient.  

I know that giving feedback to a class of 22 writers takes time. If I spend 8 minutes per learner, for example that's just under 3 hours. If I spend, 5 minutes per learner, that's just under 2 hours of time. The more classes of course, the more disciplined I have to be with my time and my focus. 

Definitely do-able. 


The Slice of Life Story Challenge is hosted by the team at Two Writing Teachers
everyday in March and on Tuesdays throughout the year. 

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. There's always so much competing for our attention. I think it's the beauty of a notebook as it allows the space to get ideas down and off our mind, as well as a space to play with the ideas to find their potential. It sounds like you have a lot going on these days. As you said, it seems the normal right now. I hadn't thought about students getting anxious about on demand writing. I get that. It's like writing to a deadline. Sometimes that goes well - and sometimes....

    ReplyDelete