Sunday, February 28, 2021

Has Your Reading Life Shifted?

*about the image


"I told myself I was going to read everyday after school, but I didn't," a learner says.

"Me too," a table mate replies.

"Okay. It is okay. It is what it is, right?" I nod and affirm and keep my voice positive. "Thank you being honest. Is there something I could do or give you or do  that would help?"

"No Ms. S, I know what I need to do. I need to read more."

Is it just me and my kiddos or have we all had a bit of difficulty focusing on reading this year? 

During our lockdown last spring, here in Singapore known as  "Circuit Breaker," I had difficulty focusing on a book. I still read, but my focus and stamina shifted. I was more restless, less attentive to details on the page. I read in short bursts fifteen minutes with a cup of coffee in the morning, I read. Twenty minutes before falling asleep in the bed, I read. Gone were days where I could rock or swing in a hammock and read away an afternoon. I just couldn't do it.

When I step into my English classroom, I'm seeing similar things with the readers in the room. A lot of the learners in my room are engaging with books and stories differently this year. Usually, now is the time that readers are on FIRE. Passionate about books and titles by this time of year their interests ignite. The turn usually happens over the holiday break in December and January. 

Not so this year. 

Learner after learner returned to campus after the holiday having not read a thing. We talked about it. Named it. Set some goals. Put supports in place and moved forward. We'll see what happens. One thing I know for sure, we're not reading nearly as much as we have in past years. 

Thanks to the team  from Two Writing Teachers 
for hosting the Slice of Life story buffet every day in March. Join in on the writing fun or visit Two Writing Teachers to get your fill of daily slices. 

*This image is from our Today in English slide deck. I use the slides for visual support in class and this one in particular for books talks and reminders as we settle into reading. 



12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this and I love how you opened with the dialogue with students. I have had very similar conversations with my students in both their reading an writing lives. For me reading has been the opposite -- I feel like I've read MORE now than before, but I think it stems from a desire to escape and after looking at screens all day sometimes all I want to do is look at any non-screen. But who knows. I appreciate the honesty in this post -- maybe reading has changed but at least it's still happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words of appreciation, Erica. It's been interesting to observe these reading shifts, in my own life and with learnes.

      Delete
  2. Reading is my normal go to activity especially when I am stressed and this pandemic has changed how I read. I am reading, just not novels. My reading tastes have changed and that is ok. I got down on myself about it for a long time and then looked at the data of what I was really doing.
    Thank you for hosting this conversation in your classroom. Resetting and making goals is something they need to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not alone. I go in spurts, but if I don't finish something in a few days, it's likely it will land on Did Not Finish mountain. I have abandoned so, so many books this year. My students are in the same boat. I've started setting aside 5 more minutes per class period for them to read, because it's the only time it's going to happen. It could be the best book ever, but even my sure hits are not reliable this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From book pile to mountain-- makes me chuckle! My leaners get 15 minutes in each class to read and then I model and talk about other times I relax into reading. I keep reminding them and myself that there are infinite "right" ways to get to our reading goals-- practicing self care here too.

      Delete
  4. Hello, old friend! So good to see you here. :) I read the other day about taking time to read just 21 minutes for fun every day (in honor of the year 2021). Such a short amount of time doesn't seem like much, but I'm finding that it is doable in my busy day. Here's to a time (hopefully very soon) when we can all return to the joy that reading can provide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! So great to hear and see you virtually too! I like that 21 minutes message for the year--that's a good one!

      Delete
  5. Hey You! It is so good to see you. I can totally relate to this reading issue and so can my students. And I think they are totally connected! When I don't read, it seems that don't either. But we must continue to fight through this and hopefully find something wonderful on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! So good to see you too, Leigh Anne! No doubt in that there is something wonderful on the other side of this historic event. Thank you for the kind and encouraging words.

      Delete
  6. My reading life has ebbed and flowed during the past year, too. I am currently on a high with reading, whereas previously I was in a slump. I think it goes with the territory at the moment. Uncertainty breeds restlessness and an inability to focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I often think about the book tide (or Gallagher's book floods) and it's a fitting metaphor for our reading habits as well. Thank you for the affirmations today.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely! I have really struggled to read since the pandemic hit. I've had a couple good spurts where I managed to get into a book for a couple weeks here and there, but even then, I haven't been able to keep up the momentum for more than one book in a row. I've seen a lot of people saying the same thing, too. Ugh. I'm glad you let your students know that it's ok. <3

    ReplyDelete