Friday, March 8, 2013

Spring into Reading

Family Literacy Night at my school gives teachers and students an evening opportunity to play and celebrate literacy. A rotation of the evening's activities were pictured on the placement style program. I picked my son up from school and brought him back with me. Sometimes he groans when we have errands to run or an event to attend--he's twelve going on seventeen. I'm sensitive to his budding independent spirit. Yesterday though when I told him we were driving straight back to my school because "the poets" were going to perform at Family Literacy Night, he said, "Yes!"

We  started the evening by touring the stations. My son's favorite, the Zombieland board game set up in Helen Philpot's classroom. There's some kind of magic that happens when teachers dawn Zombie makeup in order to play with kids. My favorite station prior to the finale was creating a book spine poem--really more of book-talk poem. I was thinking about highlighting the plot of John Green's Looking for Alaska,with this one  in order to get the book back into circulation in my classroom. Here's what I crafted:





7 comments:

  1. What a great way for families and school to get together. I like that it's not just a celebration but also an opportunity to play. From your slice and the slide show it clearly was a fun event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such an amazing event! How awesome that you and your colleagues could get together to create this event for your kids and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea for a family literacy night to play with words and books and, well, literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee Ann,
    Looks a perfect evening! Even better that your son joined you for the event. Book spine poems are fun to try. Your poem is very powerful. I think it's the ending --- silence.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! This must be a special event for your students and their families, as well as for all the teachers! I love the idea of coming together to celebrate literacy, especially at the high school level! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book spine poem==I just might use that in a few days when part of my class will be on a fieldtrip. Thank you for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing job you do at promoting literacy! Love the Zombies!

    ReplyDelete