Sunday, June 5, 2011

Read, read, read

I didn't participate in 48 hour book challenge this weekend. I discovered it while dipping into the Twitterverse this afternoon. What a great way to kick off summer reading!  Search the hashtag #48HBC to see what folks were reading and tweeting. I enjoyed dipping into the book blogs. As Jen Robinson's blog shows, the $48HBC is about much more than reading: reviewing, connecting, discussion. What a community!  Sarah's blog got me wondering how much time I'd actually spent reading this weekend, so I set out to write up my own reading weekend stats. Wouldn't this be a neat thing to do with students next year? Anyone want to try it? I wonder if my high school students would be up for it at the end of the school year? Or if this would be a good weekend after exams kick off? I'll have to think about that.

How much did I read this weekend?  Lately it seems as if I've been reading like a bear prepares for winter: storing up stories before I get writing this summer.  Here's my reading  weekend break down: 1675 pages, 4 books, 15 1/2 hours reading. No wonder I didn't get the laundry done!


Friday Night:  6 hours reading
4-5 pm Read Ann Rinaldi's Leigh Ann's Civil War
5-6 pm Figure out how to download Kindle app to hand-me-down iPhone (it works!)
6-6:30 Make end of 4th grade celebratory pizzas for son and friend (our school doesn't finish until next week)
6:30- 11:30 Read Victoria Roth's Divergent


Saturday: 6 hours
8 -9:30 am  finish Divergent 
9:30 -10 Shower, dress and depart
10- 10:30 pick up fixed laptop and other errands
10:30 am -3 pm Celebrate summer with bowling, pizza and arcade games
3 -4:00 Take son's friend home
4 - 5:30 finish Leigh Ann's Civil War by Ann Rinaldi
5:30 - 6 Fix dinner
6:00 - 8:00 finish The Girl Behind Glass by Jane Kelley (a reading dinner)
8:00- 9:00 start Spinning Out by David Stahler

Sunday: 3 1/2 hours
12 -2 read Spinning Out by David Stahler
2-3 nap
3-4:30 finish Spinning Out


My favorites from the weekend? Definitely Divergent by Veronica Roth. Dystopian novel where 16 year-olds choose their "faction"-future communities-based on value trait. Violent and action packed as the Hunger Games, I'm sure Tris would give Katniss a good fight. I also loved Spinning Out by David Stahler, the story of boy on the edge of Schizophrenia. Raw and well told, two class clowns change their image as they take on lead roles in the Man of La Mancha-Quixotic vision,  this book had me weeping for things lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment