Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day in the Life

4:30 a.m. Wake up, get coffee, start computer, read or write online with morning coffee
6:00-6:20 a.m. Leave for school
6:45 a.m. Arrive at school, check school email, organize handouts, copies, materials for the day, check that agenda is posted, check in at front office (across 95 acre campus)
7:10 students begin arrive in classroom
7:20 teach, listen, teach, practice, teach
8:08 stand at door, smile, usher out and welcome in
8:14 second period begins: teach, teach, teach, read, read, write
9:02 second period ends, wait, fidget, wait, first student arrives, then run to bathroom, return before  6 minutes is up and bell rings to signal next class
9:08 teach, teach, monitor, encourage, smile, teach
9:54 usher out, welcome in
10:02 waiting for lunch time class starts: encourage, cajole, teach, smile, encourage
10:55 ahhh,  lunch
11:30 greet, greet, welcome, welcome, fifth period begins
12:25 sixth period, when did they arrive? was I picking up? shelving books? how did I miss the greet, greet, hello, hello at the door time. Rush into the last period of the day, teach, teach, monitor, modify, modify, support, cajole, smile, encourage.
It's over? already?
1:17 time to plan,
2:00 but wait, meeting, meeting, bathroom needing
2:45 p.m. back to class, quiet now, quiet
4:00 p.m. grading, grading still at school
cross town, extended-care pick up
grocery store someday
5:30 - 6:00 p.m. home depending on traffic and route
7:00 p.m. writing ,writing, planning ,planning, blog or occasional tweet

I've been thinking a lot about a teacher's day. What does a typical teacher look like? Are all teachers' days across our state similar at each level? Are teachers' days similar across the nation? Some teachers I've visited say no--others nod yes. It's hard to say. My schedule changes depending on the day or the week or the month of the school year. Above is a typical day where I'm in meetings after school for just a short time.

Today was a juggler. I participated in lesson study in the morning, then facilitated a different lesson study group in the afternoon. At the end of the school day, I met for an hour with student poets (Poetry Club) and took some time after that  to begin writing out my common board agenda for tomorrow.

I left school at 4 pm (though we are released from duty at 2:30). After picking up my son from school and voting, I arrived home at 7 p.m. The lines were long at my polling place, so I'm sure that added more than an hour. How was your day? How do you build in time to grade? plan? reflect? write? hone your craft?

These are just a few things I'm thinking about this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment