Sunday, August 15, 2010

Summer Books

I chose My Name is Memory because I love Ann Brashares' The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I also love resurrection stories. Stories that show the eternal nature of our lives. My Name is Memory is a love story between Daniel and Sophia that spans centuries. With each life, Daniel searches for Sophia in order to fulfill the love he felt at their first, violent meeting. I enjoyed the characters as they changed from ancient times to present day and the mystery of their final connection kept me reading.

Pat Conroy is one of my favorite authors. The Prince of Tides one of my all-time favorite books. His magnolia-scented prose echoes a south I can only imagine. The descriptions in South of Broad are delicious, delectable, luxurious in their richness, but it is the characters that I fell in love with: Leo Bloom, Sheba and Trevor Poe and their band of high-
school friends turned adults on a quest. The novel spans decades and tells the story of friendship, the AIDS crisis of the 1980s in San Francisco, the downfall of the Catholic church, integration and so much more. Conroy's novel is full of love, saints and sinners who come to know each other and commit to life in a way most characters only dream.

1 comment:

  1. If you are interested in an advance reading copy of MY READING LIFE by Pat Conroy, a love letter to the books and prose that inspired him out November 2nd, please send your contact information to acsparks at randomhouse.com.

    ReplyDelete