Monday, March 23, 2015

Goodbye for Now



Swing by Two Writing Teachers for seconds or link up to serve us your own slice!

We stumbled through our short morning routine as we readied ourselves for the trip home this morning. I don't like saying goodbye; it's why I say goodbye for now on the phone and see you in the morning at night. 

Goodbye is sad without hello. As I brushed my teeth, running the cold, cold water from the tap I brainstormed ideas for a goodbye poem. Goodbye is like "guacamole and I hate the color green." Sara Holbrook's line from the poem "I Hate My Body" kept coming to mind.

When I write with student poets we work images. I don't have colorful images for good bye yet. Humor is on the far horizon for this idea.  I'm still in list mode.


 I love how Sara's line relieves the tension of dislike and irritation. When I see her perform it and watch the audience she always hits the guacamole and green in a way that makes kids smile and chuckle.  I would like to make saying goodbye to company easier with a laugh.

Last week a student chose a poem full of hellos and goodbyes to perform. Wisps of lines whispered in my ear this morning--wish I could bring the title to mind. A hello and goodbye poem would be fun to write. 

While waiting to board the plane home, Collin and I played with this instant poem generator to kickstart some ideas. I bet my niece would have fun with that form. I'm going to play with it and see if I can reshape it--break it out of the too tight for me formula-- with comparisons and images. 

For now goodbye, goodbye, see you soon, goodbye.

4 comments:

  1. I had a goodbye this past Saturday, & I know what you mean, it's a challenge. I assume you know this Dr. Seuss quote: "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened", but will share it just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting Slice with a peek into how your mind is shaping a poem. I love the line: Goodbye is sad without hello.

    Can't wait to read your finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I see you next you will be saying goodbye to 48!

    ReplyDelete