Sunday, March 1, 2015

From the School Stage

Day 1 of 31 posts for the Slice of Life Story Challenge hosted by the team at Two Writing TeachersStaceyTaraDanaBetsyAnna, and Beth.
Head over to the link up for seconds or to serve up your own slice!

Last night roads were wet. Black top slick with steady drizzle. Temperatures hovered in the fifties all day as clouds squatted low to the ground.  The weather did not keep us home from the final performance of Grease though.Nearly seventy-five people had a hand in this year's show. Many of them were my students. Their hard work, dedication and energy is clear in the show's trailer on YouTube


My son and I had third row seats. Can I just say that I love how technology has caught up to the ticketing process--the tickets and online purchasing options make this production seem professional. Not so long ago we were paying for tickets at the window (cash or check) and getting a blue or red all-purpose ticket ripped off of a huge roll, no assigned seats and no rip off edge. This ticket is one for the memory box. 

Up close, sitting center stage, the leaps and jumps, the sharp limbs and swishing skirts, the hops and skips, streamed energy from the stage. The lighting always amazes me, the glow and the color. This show started with the Greasers in silhouette. Color panes popped as characters came to life in song and dance.



We marveled at the sets--six, seven, I lost count of how many double-sided, rolled-on-wheels scenes took center stage: the burger palace, the two teen bedrooms, a gymnasium,  a bleacher scene.  The students who worked stage craft did a terrific job creating, moving, spinning and shifting the scenes throughout the show. The entire tech crew did a fantastic job. . 

My students delighted me. From Brandon's portrayal of Roger "the mooner" to Clara's Patty and Widlin's Greaser role, the kids looked sharp (and happy). Santiago on drums in the pit, Madelyn at the door and Natasha scooting scenes across the stage--I can't name them all, but they are the people behind and in the production.
Widlin is behind Brandon (red shirt)  in this scene from the locker room.
Even administrators played roles in the production. For the performance we saw, Mr. Alvarado and Ms. Schmitt, both deans, played parts: Vince Fontaine and the uptight English teacher, Mrs. Lynch. The audience ate them up!  This is the kind of relationship building that lasts. 
Mr. Alvarado and Ms. Schmitt center stage during the school dance scene.

Mr. Williams, the drama teacher and angel crooner nearly stole the show when he floated down from the clouds to sing "Beauty School Drop Out." The silvery beauty capes  and bee-hived, sparkly rollers on his back up singers were some of the best costumes of the evening. Hours and hours of work, evident in the joy on the stage. 

Mr. Williams sparkles in his white suit and Katelyn, far right, sports my favorite head dress and costume of the evening. Great number!

Mr. Tolar,  grand master of the pit, Mr. Kahn and Mr. Williams make it look easy. But we know the kind of work that goes into making things look easy, don't we?

 Congratulations cast and crew! Great show!


C

15 comments:

  1. Love that some of your staff take part also. What a fun way to make connections with kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thoughts, Deb. In my twenty years I don't think I've watch a school production with administrators playing a part. So good to see that level of involvement and commitment to kids.

      Delete
  2. Send your drama teacher up to Idaho where it's warmer than even much of Florida! I love "Grease" and this production makes me long for my drama days! Technology certainly does make theater more exciting.

    I'm doing the SoL challenge for the first time, although I'll be out of town much of the month. Still, I'll do what I can. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're kidding, Glenda, it's warm there?! It was chilly yesterday but by the feel of it we're heading back toward eighty for tomorrow. I'm excited to have you join the Slice of Life Story Challenge! I learn so much from what you share. Off to your blog now : )

      Delete
    2. Well, we're not that warm, Lee! We have been in the 50s many days in February, and we have had very little snow this winter. My husband is suffering. He has a new snowmobile!

      Delete
  3. What fun! Even with that scary drive, the play's the thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it was a success! I'll have to forward this to my dad. He's one of two drama coaches at Zephyrhills HS and teaches the theater tech class. I know he'll be excited to hear that someone notices things like the lights, sets, and beehive hairdos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to a play of a former student last year, & yes, bought the ticket online, had a reserved seat, awesome. Your high school production sounds fabulous LeeAnn. I love Grease, could see it again and again, & also wonderful to think that some staff were cast too. Thank you very much for sharing all this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love Grease! I was in the 8th grade when that movie came out - yikes! I love how the administrators had a part. My son's band played at the basketball game Friday and the principal and assistant principal both played the cowbells in one song. They had do much fun they are playing together at the pep session for our state tournament. That is what the kids remember! Loved seeing your pictures with me singing along the way...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the play! I wish I had recorded some of it to put in the senior video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krystin, Clara said her Dad video taped the entire production and was uploading it to YouTube. I bet you could grab some footage from there. I can show you how if you want me to.

      Delete
  8. So glad your school's musical was such a success! Everyone looks like they're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's sounds amazing! You've done a great job of putting us there with you. I'm really sorry I missed Jeff singing Beauty School Dropout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great scene. We missed having you there too!

      Delete
  10. I see that weather played a central role in your life on the night that Grease opened. The Beauty School Dropout scene sounds like it brought the crowd alive. What a fun story, Lee Ann. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete