Saturday, March 28, 2015

Celebrate this Week

 

So much to celebrate this week: books and paints and sleeping in and time with friends and family. It is the end of our spring break week. What a wonderful week it has been.

1. Played in snow at my brother's house with my son and niece. Oh, the love of crunchy snow, crisp air and a steep hill.

2. Listened to my niece read the story we worked on together last Sunday. She's in first grade and her focus that afternoon spanned hours of writing and photographing, rewriting and recording.  Good memories made.

3. Spent time time at the farmer's market farm today before my son's lacrosse game. We held three week old goats and took pictures of noses and made up stories about the animals and laughed. (Maybe I will grab a few more pictures and turn this into a Whose nose is this? piece for my northern nieces, we'll see).



4. Claimed my commenting prize! I registered for the Writing from the Heart Highlights Foundation workshop  this June.  The very idea of the Highlights Foundation brings me back to the dentist office.  My Mom was a dental hygienist. For nearly thirty years she worked for Dr. Sunshine (his real name). One of the best parts of visiting the dentist's office when I was a little girl was sitting in the waiting room waiting my turn to have Mom clean my teeth. I felt so grown up in a captain's chair all my own. I sat up straight, scooted back in the seat,  dangled my feet a foot from the floor, and balanced Highlights magazines across my knees to read and read and read. By fourth grade I wanted to write too.  Oh blue skies, this prize was a dream-come-true moment this week.

Though Dr. Sunshine sold the practice a few years ago, Dr. G.
kept this piece of Mom's handiwork hanging.

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this slice for the visual images that go with each part of the week you are celebrating!

    The close up nose photos are fantastic and you should totally bring them to your Highlights trip for inspiration! Animals talking selfies perhaps? :)

    Thank you for sharing!

    -Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly you have a week to remember, Lee Ann, from that wonderful story you & your niece wrote & read together to your "win" of the Highlights retreat. I've been there as I told you before (I think) & it is heavenly to go. Best wishes back. I've just begun my break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on winning the Commenting Challenge! I'm anticipating posts during your Highlights trip:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats again on the prize! Love the nose photos. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading about your celebrations: the snow video, the story you wrote with your niece, the schnoz shots, and the sunshine handiwork! Congrats on winning the Highlighting workshop. We'll be watching for pics and reports of your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much to celebrate!! Oh Lee Ann...listening to your niece read with you...I LOVE this idea!!! I MUST do this with my nephew and niece!!! LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! You are such an amazing auntie!!! :) Thanks for the wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your celebrations, Lee Ann, and your memory of reading Highlight Magazines (one of my childhood favorites also). I can't wait to hear about your trip.

    ReplyDelete