Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Sick Daze


It was Project for Awesome week when a teacher-friend and Mom to one of my students stopped by my classroom. Her daughter, a tenth grader, delightful, studious and hard working, her daughter had the flu. "Influenza type A," she said to me between classes while I stood on the steps to my classroom. "She had the swab and everything." 

Really? Really? 

 I'd gotten a flu shot and a tetnus shot just the day before. I punctured my head with a roof nail getting Christmas down from the attic. My last tetnus shot was more than a decade old and the nurse talked me into the flu shot as bonus protection. The shot would not "go live" for seventy-two hours the nurse warned. Seriously? 

We disinfected the classroom. We used two containers of Lysol wipes (family sized). We wiped keyboards and chair backs and tables and book shelves. We washed hands and sanitized pens and pencils.

It was like some sort of don't-get-sick voodoo. 

Fortunately, I have time to make soup and breathe steam and sleep on the couch ensconced in quilts my mother made. I have plenty of books laid in, a cuddly puppy and holiday left overs. 

Even sick, winter break is glorious.





10 comments:

  1. Ahhh, warm blankets, warm puppy and a good book (which I need to read!). Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris, those are the best things (puppy, blanket, book). Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  2. Ahh feel better soon! So often I ended up sick after Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today we started the "garlic cure": roasted, raw, in cream cheese, spread on bread.... We are sure to be feeling fine soon!

      Delete
  3. The end of your post is so cozy that I wish I was there with you, although I'm glad I'm not sick! (And I'm SUPER JEALOUS that you're reading Fish in a Tree!!!!!!! I can't wait!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, email me your address and I'll mail you the book. It was awesome and I'd love to pass it on!

      Delete
  4. I just got over being sick. Wishing you lots of good reading, good sleep, and quick recovery!! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are on the road to recovery! But if you have to be sick, good books and warm puppies definitely help!

    ReplyDelete