Saturday, March 8, 2014

Sweet Seven


Happy Saturday!

Celebrate your week. Visit Ruth Ayres Writes for details.


I'm celebrating the end of the first week of the Slice of Life Story Challenge with seven sweet moments that inspired me to love the work this week:



7. A childhood favorite for breakfast one morning: BLT with Peanut butter on my husband's homemade honey wheat bread. A serious treat, so delicious, a good breakfast makes all the difference in my day.

6.  #satchat a weekly Saturday morning Twitter discussion for school leaders co-founded by adminstrator, Brad Currie  - he offers a treasure trove of professional learning opportunities beyond #satchat via his blog and other ventures he records and posts. Listen in or use a piece to begin a conversation with a critical friend on your campus.



5.  Walking with my friend Beth, who slices at Seeking Six, was a great way to celebrate week's end. We even met and stopped to talk with teachers from a nearby Elementary school when our paths crossed. Serendipitous PLC time and collegial conversation, good stuff this walking with friends after school.

4. Sharing wonder. So many posts this week awakened wonder:
Bryan's posts about historical figures (Maurice Tillet and Harriet Quimby)
On Sharon's Wonderland blog a poetic slice "Home"
Linda's reminder this past Monday about the power of memory and service in love. 



3.  Students' sharing stories as they begin to blog for the Slice of Life challenge and  analyzing poetry in our Socratic circle. I loved this week's Socratic Circle discussion for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was the level of commitment students brought to the task. They listened to each other. They consulted the text (pictures of it from the book on their phones). My students are the best part of school.


2. Students taking the stage to strut their stuff during Bear Rock Live. It takes courage to stand on a stage and sing (or scream or mix or dance) in front of your peers. Don, pictured above, is from France, he's been learning English and writing poetry in Poetry Club all year. He told us he likes to sing and that he mostly sings, but he wanted to try poetry to help with song writing. Last night, he did a mash-up of John Legend's "All of Me", rap and a slice of French. Floored me. Loved it. Impeccable timing plus limber yet innocent voice equaled a powerful moment on stage.

1. Hank Green lives the  passion my students are just tapping into. I have a Green brother bias; I admit it, but this week I am celebrating Hank's acoustic, punk  cover of "Let It Go" from FrozenThe power in Hank's voice to not only entertain and educate (Vlogbrothers, SciShow, Brain Scoop) but to reveal and revel in a shared spirit of joy and discovery, amazes me and humbles me every time I tune in. Love the work he is doing.



Serve up your slice of life this Saturday.
Link up at Two Writing Teachers. 

17 comments:

  1. I love the idea of celebrating those moments from throughout the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair warning, I may steal your idea! I find this slicing very challenging so when others do it with such grace, it inspires me (to steal their idea).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something odd is happening with my commenting. Sorry. Loved your post and will use the thought process myself at some point. Probably won't have lettuce and peanut butter though I do love bacon and peanut butter...

      Delete
  3. Each cause for celebration was a special one in and of itself, but, all together, it meant a very special week for you. PS. I love that BLT...so much so that I need to make myself one ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My students are the best part of school." So true!!! Thanks for this peek into so many different parts of your life that add up to make you happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And apparently we were commenting on each other's blogs at exactly the same time -- what fun! :-)

      Delete
  5. Seven sweet moments - I like the format. Your husband's home made bread - this sounds extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always something to celebrate even during the hard week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of the peanut butter BLT Lee Ann. I had a friend once who adored peanut butter & bacon. So much to love in your week, to celebrate. Thank you for the shout out to my post-it was dear to me to write. And among all you said, love the student stories most. They are the best thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love using the number seven as a way to recap the week. So glad you ran into your friend and had time to chat. and the homemade bread. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a great week! There was a mix of everything!. Music always makes the day better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much to celebrate! And I love Hank Green's version of "Let it Go." Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to look at your week. BLT with peanut butter? Interesting. I really loved #2 and #3. How rewarding for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As much as it is painful for me to come up with something to write everyday, I have really enjoyed reading all of this posts this week. Not only do I feel a little closer to you and Beth because I see things that are happening to you two on a daily basis, but it's been so interesting getting ideas from other writers. The first week has given me so many things to think about with my own writing, and lots of fun ideas for future writing and for writing with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the Sweet Seven idea. I often do five random things on a linky party which I thoroughly enjoy. I might have to try a Sweet Seven sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A celebration countdown is the perfect way to end a week. What a great idea! It seems you have plenty to celebrate.

    I'd love to hear more about the homemade honey wheat bread! Sounds delightful.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every part of this post has me wanting to ask more questions, look up more things, or try something new. Perfect way to rev up for next week!

    ReplyDelete