Sunday, March 23, 2014

Birthday Blackout

Today is Jere Daniels Junior's birthday. He was my next door neighbor growing up. Yesterday was Krystal's birthday--my cousin is two days older than I am. A Cris and a Krystin, both teachers from whom I learn had birthdays this week too as did two students. 

Tomorrow is my birthday. Tomorrow  Michelle and Bonnie celebrate too; we used to work together and it was fun being birthday triplets.  I played with blackout poetry to celebrate. For years growing up my mom and I would spend time at the art festival and enjoy lunch out together. My birthday gifts included new bathing suits and good hair cuts (sometimes with color). Yearly treats. She spoils me still.  Divergent's first page brought that back (but I left out the hair cut part for this piece). 

 

Engchat on St. Patrick's Day was filled with poetry talk and I've been toying with blackout and spine poems since. Lesley Mosher and Jason Stephenson are hosting a Blackout Poetry in the Classroom week April 7-11. We'll be a week away from our state testing and the creative outlet will likely do us good. I'm looking forward to seeing what students create.  Head over to Literacy Love for the details. 

8 comments:

  1. I'm just starting to think how I will manage April, Lee Ann. Your ideas to have some wonderful fun with it after the testing are good. Hope you have a wonderful birthday celebrating tomorrow with all the birthday buddies. Love the poem-just a beautiful tone for a dear mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee Ann,
    Loved this! I haven't tried many black out poems, but you have me thinking I should. Enjoy your birthday!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a perfect poem! Happy Birthday tomorrow! How fun to have so many who have birthdays with you and around you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to play with poetry...working on my own blackout poem and thinking about using each Friday in April to do such things...open poetry play time during lunch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee Ann,
    This is a fun way to play with words! I like this idea and will have to play! Happy Birthday-hope you enjoy your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blackout poetry is incredible. I'm going to have to play with that. (I'm off to Google it now.)

    An early happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your poem is lovely. I've also heard blackout poetry called erasure poetry. No matter what we call it, it's a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing the link to Literacy Love. Happy Birthday, Lee Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! The poem is beautiful even before you start reading the words. And then I can imagine you and your mom spending the day together, which makes it even better. I saw someone else post a blackout poem earlier this month and I loved the idea, but sort of quickly let it escape. Thanks for bringing it back! And Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete