Monday, February 18, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 2/18/13

It's Monday! What Are You Reading  is hosted by Jen and Kellee of Teach Mentor Texts  and inspired by Shelia of Book Journey. Find reviews, titles and books to share all tagged IMWAYR. 

Last week I took a trip to the library after school instead of going to Camp Gladiator, a boot camp workout I love (shh...don't tell my trainer). I actually skipped the workout because I was still sick,  but not sick enough to stay home any longer and not sick enough to warrant an oxygen tent in a hospital.

The free afternoon presented a perfect mid-week library opportunity.  I've been wanting to read more picture books, so I settled into the children's section while my son took off for the teen and graphic shelves. Here are a few of the books I enjoyed.

 
 Roy Makes a Car written by Mary E. Lyons and illustrated by Terry Widener drew me to it first because the title reminded me of If I Built a Car by Chris Van Dusen, a book about a boy who dreams and builds a futuristic car. Second, the cover is absolutely gorgeous. Widener's art shines like chrome fenders and peals out like a hotrod showing off--the color and detail, just love it. I also love how the story is based on an urban legend captured by Zora Neal Hurston right here in Central Florida. I will definitely order this one and use it to connect to futures thinking and local history and myth and legend.

Lester's Dreadful Sweaters written and illustrated by K.G. Campbell made me laugh out loud! Outrageous these "sweaters" Cousin Clara creates. When Lester turned to devious destruction methods to destroy the sweaters and avoid embarrassment, I  heard echoes of  Edward Gorey's The Gashlie Crumb Tinies and laughed all the more. Loved Campbell's use of alliteration and how it lightened Lester's trials.


 I can't resist Audrey Wood and Mark Teague. Sweet Dream Pie was one of my son's favorites (as were Teague's illustration in all of Jane Yolen's Dinosaur books), so when I saw it on the shelf I had to reread it and think about what ingredients would go into making my dreams come true.


 
School Lunch by written and illustrated by True Kelley called to mind of Annie Lamott's "School Lunches" from Bird by Bird. Different audience, different purpose, same topic--there are lessons there.

I went on a bit of a horrible, terrible sweater jag in my reading choices. The Truly Terribly Horrible Sweater that Grandma Knit written by Debbie Macomber and Mary Lou Carney and illustrated by Vincent Ngyuen delighted me with its family and relationships. I love the learning and change of heart Cameron experiences. What power objects and images have on memory. There are even directions for how to knit written for kids (and another for adults) in the back of the book. 

Little Night written and illustrated by Yuyi Morales inspired me with color and shape. Whimsy and love fill each page and I delighted in the mother-daughter relationship. A gorgeous book, I can see using it to connect to creation myths. 

I also read several young adult titles, the best of which was the sequel to Unwind, Unwholly by Neal Shusterman. 

Up Next? 

I'm participating in an online book club discussion on Facebook and in my first book, Reading Amplified this week, so I'm rereading what I wrote to anticipate and participate in the conversation. 
These are my next up titles for fun and to recommend to students: 
    




1 comment:

  1. I hope my library some of these are in my library, especially Roy Makes a Car. The illustrations are beautiful and I'm reading Their Eyes were Watching God now so I'm connected to Hurston. :). I love reading a picture book a day. I wish I could also read a novel a day, but I'll have to wait until Operation Marry Well is successful.

    ReplyDelete